Merry Christmas To All Henry the Young King Readers!

To all Henry the Young King's readers. Greeting! Our blog is taking a break until 8 January, so let me wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (hopefully full of Henry the Young King)! Here you can find my last year text about where and how Christmas was celebrated at the courts of Henry and his family.

During festive season I'm going to re-read my favourite Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman, but also find a few minutes to pay a visit to my friend Gabriele's Lost Fort in search of Henry's sister Matilda and her husband Heinrich der Löwe [Henry the Lion], Duke of Saxony and Bavaria.
I will be staying in a company of Edward II and Piers Gaveston, but also of my friend CrazyCris and a certain Clever Boy.

Stay warm and safe (hopefully we won't have to suffer what Henry and his consort, Marguerite were through on the Christmas night of 1172, when "a thunder was heard in Ireland and England and in all of France generally, Sudden and dire, portending something great, new and unusual." It must have been heard by both Henry and Marguerite, who held their Christmas court in Normandy, and by Henry's parents, Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine at Chinon.

The Altarpiece of the Three Kings by Stephan Lochner, Cologne Cathedral, Germany 
(via Wikipedia)


Henry the Young King Christmas Riddle:

What did Henry or a person closely related to him have in common with Cologne, Germany? (Clue: I mean neither Henry's sister Matilda nor her husband).

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas to you and the Young King as well.

    Dang, now I need to write some more stuff about Henry the Lion and his wife; and their son, the unfortunate Emperor Otto IV. So many topics (and photos to go with them), so much research, and so little time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gabriele! As for Matilda and Henry (and Otto) I have come across many interesting facts already, so... no pressure :-)

    Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Kasia! I finally finished all of Sharon's books (spending hours and hours in the hospital gives you plenty of time to read), so now I'm really looking forward to Ransom!!!

    Those seem to be some interesting blogs you've linked to, I'll be sure to check them out!

    Big hugs! and FELIZ AÑO NUEVO!!! ;o)

    You left Facebook so you missed out on my Christmas surprise from Sharon, she sent me a signed copy of Justin's last adventure (which was available on Kindle where I had read all her other books)!!! I'll write about it on the blog once I get a chance to organise my thoughts on all of her books. I was soooo delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cristina! It's good to hear from you! I'm happy for you. I too got a present from Sharon last year, but it was not a book :-) Perhaps I will write about it one day, for it's absolutely Henry the Young King- centric (will it be enough to say that I treat it as if it were holy relics?). Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts