The Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Fortune or How Our Patience Was Put to Test

'Though the Young King did not enjoy Henry II's reputation for learning, his father ensured that he received a good education. From an early age, he was schooled in the workings of law and government, as well as in courtly accomplishments.' I am sure you find the words as intriguing as I do, especially in the light of what used to be said and written about Henry the Young King's taste for letters. Most importantly, however, the snippet comes from MY copy of Henry the Young King 1155-1183 by Professor Matthew Strickland, which has finally arrived and found a safe haven on my bookshelf. As you can remember, due to the different slings and arrows of outrageous fortune the book's arrival has been mercilessly delayed and I was beginning to loose hope, but here it is. At last. And, as you can predict, I will be extremely busy these coming days (and nights) - there are a few facts that have already caught my attention in the course of reading and I will return as soon as I sort them out and make them into a nice neat post :)


If you are still not convinced whether to purchase the book or not (the price is pretty steep, I admit), may the words of Professor Stephen Church be the best recommendation:

'This book is brilliant; it is the best biography of a medieval ruler I have ever read. It will be a lasting monument to both the Young King and to Matthew Strickland's considerable scholarship.'

Comments

  1. That's me decided, going to treat myself to it. πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your copy has arrived! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went to Amazon. This title has not been released in the US yet.
    Thank you for reminding me, I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy, Ladies! :) I still haven't finished reading, but hope to accomplish the feat soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book is beautifully bound and is certainly an heirloom. It is an extraordinary piece of writing. It has helped my research immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts