13 August: Remembering Sharon Kay Penman

"As the King of England crossed the inner bailey of Chinon Castle, his brother watched him from an upper-storey window and wished fervently that God would smite him dead. Geoffrey understood perfectly why Cain had slain Abel, his younger brother, the best-beloved..."

These are the opening lines of Time and Chance, a novel of historical fiction, written by Sharon Kay Penman. The first Penman book I have ever read. Twelve years ago it opened the whole new world for me. I was surfing the Internet, looking for some good historical novels and came across it by pure chance. I remember as if it was yesterday. Then other Penman books followed, The Devil's Brood among them, with the poignantly perfect portrait of Henry the Young King, with all his virtues and vices. 

And Ms. Penman herself... Kind and generous spirit, whom I was honoured and happy to know. Not personally - after all there always was that pesky ocean between us - but we emailed each other for ten years. 


Last year with a heavy heart I have said farewell to her. Sharon Kay Penman passed away on 22 January 2021, aged 75. In his famous meditations John Donne said: "... any man's death dimishes me", which may be quite true, but personally I believe there are deaths that diminish us more than others. And such is the death of Ms. Penman. Godspeed, Sharon! Thank you for all the lovely books and lovely people whom I met thanks to you. You have brought us all together. From all distant parts of the world. Today, being your birthday, I want to remeber you and honour your memory, which I do rereading The Devil's Brood. Your Hal is the best Henry the Young King in the history of historical fiction. 


Photo of Sharon Kay Penman by William Penman Jr.

Comments

Popular Posts