‘Such was the Marshal’s passing…’: The Death of Willam Marshal As Described in the History of William Marshal

 “While I was in the Holy Land, I committed my body, wherever I might be when I came to die, to burial in the Temple. That’s my wish and that’s where I’ll lie.”

Around the end of January 1219, William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke and Regent of England, was taken seriously ill. His entire life he enjoyed good health, even at the advanced age of 70. Two years prior he had fought at the Battle of Lincoln, where he was so eager to fight the French that he forgot to put on his helm. Hence, at first, the earl did not realize this illness may be fatal. Only after consulting with the doctors in the Tower of London (who, according to the History were ‘’of no use’’), did he acknowledge the truth: he was dying.

William Marshal’s final days and hours can be reconstructed in meticulous detail thanks to the History of William Marshal composed and completed after his death, around 1223. It was commissioned by William’s eldest son and namesake, the 2nd Earl, the material arrarnged and work seen to fruition by John of Early, William Marshal’s ward and household knight ‘who has devoted heart and thought and money’ to complete the work...


Tmeple Church, London. The resting place of William Marshal. Photo courtesy of Adam Kucharczyk

Recently I have written an article for Medievalists.net in which I took a closer look at William Marshal's last days. You can find the article here:

‘Such was the Marshal’s passing…’: The Death of Willam Marshal - Medievalists.net


Comments

Popular Posts